Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Why I'm PUMPED for Les Mis

I have so much to do I can barely function. Instead of doing any of it, I'm going to write this.


  1. Russell Crowe as evil inspector Javert? PERFECT. He is just so perfectly mean smarmy gross dirty calculating evil. He even LOOKS icky. 
  2. Anne Hathaway as Fantine = perfect. She can do anything in my eyes. Plus, she has this very earnest, honest face, all smooth lines and pale. She looks as I'd imagine Fantine to look. 
  3. Amanda Seyfried as grown Cossette. YES. When I saw she was in it, I was terrified that she was playing Eponine, which would be awful, because Amanda Seyfried is too sweet. She has those big, open eyes that even made her idiotic character in Mean Girls seem endearing. She's lovely. She can sing. She can hold her own next to Channing Tatum. That is unrelated, but oh well. Cossette is a character that's complicated. You have to simultaneously want to be her, save her, and pity her. Seyfried can pull it off. 
  4. Hugh Jackman is hot, and not pretty boy hot. Perfect. 
  5. Sacha Baron Cohen as Thenardier? Win. He'll be creepy perfect evil. Hopefully, he'll actually disappear into the role, which would be just as cool. 
  6. Helena Bonham Carter as Th's wife. She has proven time and time again that she can do evil wench. I rest my case. 
  7. Anne Hathaway's voice doesn't have too much vibrato, which is actually a nice change. I wish more people sounded like Norah Jones. The British broadway revival from a while back was so full of vibrato I was bored. 
  8. There is never enough Les Mis. Make it. Remake it. Wait five years. Do it again. 

I can't wait. I was raised on Les Mis. My mother played the soundtrack during my entire childhood. When my father and I saw it in London it was an existential experience. I await the day when I can add a new version of the soundtrack to my already excessive collection. 

NOTE: For those of you who are new to Les Mis, googled it, and are reading the synopsis skeptically, allow me to reassure you of one thing. Within the context of the story, it totally makes sense that Valjean goes to jail for 6 years for stealing bread. Yes, it's f-ing ridiculous, but once you're into the story, you can suspend disbelief. It won't seem at all odd. 

1 comment:

Mary said...

when does it come out? I will fly back and we will go! xoxo